Monday, July 13, 2009

Doing Good

Back in the day (elementary school), I had a tormenting friendship with the boy who went to my church and lived at the end of the street. He was a stinker and I was a prissy little girl. In middle school, he fell (or I pushed him) off of his trampoline. In high school, he had a visible hump on his back. I always felt guilty (because he teased) that I gave him that hump during the famed "trampoline incident." We were good buddies through the tormenting, teasing and life's accidents. Our first jobs were at the strawberry farm together. We were in drivers ed. together and even confirmed and left our church at the same time when they fired our beloved minister. We graduated high school and haven't seen each other since.

He called today and it's been over 15 years. He heard of Dylan's and my heart break, my facing life's challenges head on and like so many other friends was just extending his friendship (over miles and years). He called to offer to come out and help me with my home construction woes and to give pearls of wisdom about life, kids and common sense. One of the many things he said that touched me,

"If you do nice things and you're a good person, people will help you."

(even after you push them off a trampoline, apparently)

His wife and kids are lucky to have him, as am I to have such a wise friend.

Writing of friends and doing good, Melina and I had a great trip to Loon Lake to support our friend Demaris. We shared our gifts: Melina sang at her wedding and I took the photos.

Demaris was a beautiful bride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude sounds like a sissy...I'd kick his ass for sure