Sunday, September 06, 2009

Saling Under the Harvest Moon

September in Seattle (and Tacoma) is marked by cool air that chills the nape and the last of the zucchini blossoms. In the Garden of Goodness, a beautiful bounty of squash, cucumbers, peppers, leeks, tomatoes, and lima beans was lit by the harvest moon this weekend. It also sparkled across the water of Elliott Bay (read on).

The seeds we’ve sown and nurtured have blossomed and bore fruit when we reap our harvest. These past few months I planted seeds of my own to:

1. Regain my self-love.

2. Establish boundaries to improve my parenting and protect my home and finances.

3. Step faithfully beyond the fear of the unknown with my business and construction projects.

4. Be the integrity that my word represents my intentions to the world.

5. Forgive and release energy focused on the past.

The (symbolic) garden of my life is overflowing with freshness..


Dylan started the fifth grade last Wednesday. We made an agreement on the house rules. After setting the rules, I asked, “Is there anything that would keep you from living with these rules? Now is the time for us to change anything you can’t live with.” He asked if we could have a rule that I take him to school 20 minutes early everyday. I said, “No problem,” and kept my promise all week, as I will for the remainder of the year. He also kept his word about living with the rules.

For the first time ever, on Thursday he asked, “Is there any other chores I can do for you, mom?” AMAZING! The rules and expectations are building his motivation and confidence. He wants to exceed my expectations.

I too want to exceed my own expectations (and his). In business, we closed two more U.S. Treasury grant writing contracts last week- and picked up a strategic planning client in Sonoma, CA.

What about personal joy? I mentioned, “the moon sparkled on Elliot Bay.” I’ve been so heartbroken these last few months, that I forgot that spending time with an attractive, charismatic man could be enjoyable and romantic. I went on a date on Friday- let my hair down, laughed, smiled and was swept off my feet for an evening. It’s been so long since I’ve felt remotely interested in a man. And really it has been about me loving myself enough to let go of something that didn't work to create an opening in my heart for something that could.



I’m letting go of the sadness. It’s not hard when the option is to sit in mourning or to graciously accept roses during a sunset cruise from someone that just wants to get to know me.

The message at my spiritual center today was simply be light and feel joy. That seams like a way to be grateful for the things we’ve nurtured and grown in our lives.

No comments: