Friday, April 30, 2010

Over $1 Million in Blessings and Counting

Have you ever had a week so spectacular that your heart won't stop beating out of your chest? That's what is going on up in these parts! It is a mind blowing, miraculous affirmation that living a life of purpose, service and integrity creates both the community we enjoy and the reality we desire.

Sooo what's so mind blowing?  First, my friend Demaris has been praying for her grandson's spinal tumor to stop growing. And miracles occurred this week. Which really got me to thinking about how grateful I am for my son's health and my own.  Dylan celebrated his 11th Birthday this week, which I must say as a mom brings me more joy than any other event, accomplishment or affirmation. If my one success in life was to raise this fine human being, my life would be well spent. God's using my life for more is just the icing on the cake.


And the $1 million in blessings? That is how God is using my life. We, the Credit Union Strategic Planning we, (Melina, Scott and I) are actively inventing programs for credit unions to reduce poverty.  And it is a ton of work and months waiting on the sidelines to hear if our programs are funded. Today we heard.  The US Treasury granted our client, Hawaii First, $457,000! It is the only credit union in the nation to receive a CDFI NACA  grant. That large sum is the full amount we requested in the application they hired us to write. The money will be used to help low income native Hawaiians to move from debt to asset building. This follows on the heels of our client in NYC being one of only two credit unions in the nation that received a CDFI Supplementary Round funding- and ours was the largest. That award was also for $500,000, to help immigrants, the poorest of the poor for three generations to obtain micro-business loans. These two grants along with the others, places our total of funds secured through the US Treasury to deploy to low income people in distressed communities through credit unions well over $1 million in the last two years alone!

That, AND the US Congress is recognizing our separate project The American Debt Relief Challenge on the official House Record for saving consumers over $20 million to date. We've really saved consumers over $20 million. I think of that impact and I'm humbled about the days my insecurity gets the best of me. We all have those days when we are down or tired. What purpose or service is there for us to share and be in integrity with using our life as a gift?

If you ever want to talk about finding your purpose, email me.  I love that conversation. Then lets put action behind it. You can be any you, you want to be.

1 comment:

Brendon said...

I love the post, and I love the cause. It seems that your organization is doing some real good for some people who can really use the help.

While my organization, CafeGive, does not earn that amount of money for non-profits, we still assist them in achieving their respective missions. CafeGive is an online shopping portal which donates a portion of every purchase to a non-profit. What makes us different from other such sites? CafeGive allows the shopper to choose which NP they benefit, from an ever-growing list of 40 causes! This is truly a great way to give back without having to change much behavior. We have over 250 merchants on our site, maybe some which you already visit. If you are an online shopper like myself, CafeGIve provides a way to feel good about the online shopping you already do. Visit http://cafegive.com to give it a shot; there's nothing to lose (except the feeling that you haven't done any good today).