Thursday, November 05, 2009

Ever Feel Just Incredibly Blessed?


After a month of traveling from Sonoma, CA to NYC for work, I came home to see this sign. The porch was decorated with ten beautifully carved, lit pumpkins. The whole house was clean, including the boys room, the dishes, fresh sheets. This is all the work of the amazing, magnificent (drum roll please) Jenny Arde.

Jenny (pictured with beau Todd) is a single mom, like me. She owns her own business, again ditto. She is renting the spare room in my home and her son and Dylan are sharing a room while construction finishes on my investment house, the mother-in-law home on my property. She will move into that home at the end of the month. And what's brilliant is: we lift each other up! We help one another with the kids, cooking, laundry and she is bringing so much to the table on the construction projects from drywall hanging to painting. The business she owns is a painting company. So while she builds equity in my properties, I am giving her slashed rent so she can save her money away to buy a home for her and her son.

Here's a photo of our boys with their best bud Travis before last week's soccer game. This week Ashton cleaned Dylan's room and left a note for him that said, "Thanks for being a really good friend. Love, Ashton." Dylan and I are so blessed to have such great friends in our lives.



Speaking of, for her birthday, one of my dearest friends, Robbi Firestone took me to see Teatro Zinnzani. It was amazing. She won the tickets at a philanthropic event she attended this summer. We had the best time. Robbi does so much good in the world, it doesn't surprise me that the universe gave something remarkable back to her. Last year alone Robbi donated over $30,000 to local non-profits from her art. She is a world class oil portrait artist. My favorite story is her donation to Camp Korey, which is a retreat for children with life threatening illnesses.

With all of this gratitude, how could I not instigate something to give back to the world. When I got sick from my trip to Ohio and stayed home with my mom, I was spoiled by her homemade chicken noodle soup. As soon as I got back to Tacoma, I made a quadruple batch of soup and delivered it to sick friends. Everyone is sick right now and so many people don't have insurance- or even moms close by to make soup. So I threw the idea onto Facebook as the Chicken Soup Movement to encourage others to do the same and 134 people from across the country have accepted or passed it onto others to join to make soup for sick people in their neighborhood. Crazy, awesome! Check it out.

2 comments:

Ben Cushing said...

I LOVE YOU JAMIE, YOU ARE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERSON YOURSELF, NEVER FOGET THAT.

Jamie Chase said...

@William- I am grateful for your kind words. Thank you for being so open and kind. Is this Bill from my hometown in Tacoma or Tuscarawas County?